Phillips, in Association with Bacs & Russo, held its second sale of watches in Hong Kong, selling a Patek Philippe for HK$19,720,000 (US$2,537,964/ €2,277,660), making it the highest price ever paid for a wristwatch at auction in Asia. Overall, the Hong Kong auction realized HK$150.
Phillips achieves HK$150 million, increasing the sales total in its 2nd Hong Kong auction by 25%, the highest for any watch auction held in Asia this season. Phillips sets a new world record for the most valuable wristwatch ever sold in Asia, beating its own record price established in December 2015, and achieves two historical world records for two important vintage replica Patek Philippe wristwatch references.
During this Spring season, Phillips sells 8 watches above US $1M, and 4 watches above US $2M – an unprecedented achievement in a watch auction season.
The top 5 prices of the auction are:
– Patek Philippe (Reference 2499): Very fine, and possibly unique pink gold perpetual calendar chronograph wristwatch with moon phases, manufactured in 1968, sold for HK$19,720,000 (US$2,537,964 / €2,277,660). Lot 368.
– Patek Philippe (Reference 2523/1): Extremely fine and previously unknown pink gold world time wristwatch with two crowns and two-tone dial, manufactured in 1954, sold for HK$19,496,000 (US$2,509,135 / €2,251,788). Lot 373.
– Patek Philippe (Reference 5004): Very rare platinum perpetual calendar split seconds chronograph wristwatch with special blue tachymetre dial, Breguet numeral at 12 o’clock, moon phases, 24 hours, leap year indicator, circa 2009, sold for HK$6,280,000 (US$808,236 / €725,340). Lot 169.
– Patek Philippe (Reference 5180): Unique titanium skeletonized wristwatch, manufactured in 2009, sold for HK$4,240,000 (US$545,688 / €489,720). Lot 170.
– Patek Philippe (Reference 5207): Extremely rare platinum minute repeating instantaneous perpetual calendar tourbillon wristwatch with leap year indicator, day and night display, moon phases, circa 2010, sold for HK$4,000,000 (US$514,800 /€462,000). Lot 175.